By Lawrence J. Korb,Sean E. Duggan,Peter M. Juul,Max A. Bergmann
In this authoritative guide, a former Assistant Secretary of security lays out the infrastructural, administrative, and healthiness care demanding situations dealing with the Veterans management, policymakers, and our veterans themselves.
• Annotated Bibliography
By David A. Gerstner
The Routledge foreign Encyclopedia of Queer Culture covers homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer (GLBTQ) existence and tradition post-1945, with a powerful overseas method of the subject.
The scope of the paintings is very complete, with entries falling into the extensive different types of Dance, schooling, movie, overall healthiness, Homophobia, the web, Literature, track, functionality, and Politics. Slang can be coated. The foreign individuals come from a wide range of backgrounds: students, reporters, artists, medical professionals, scientists, legal professionals, activists, and a big diversity of ideologies and issues of view are represented. Major entries supply in-depth details and view the highbrow and cultural implications in their topics in an international context. details is totally updated, including full assurance and research of such present or ongoing concerns as same-sex marriage/civil union and the foreign AIDS epidemic. also, there are very important appendices overlaying overseas sodomy legislation and archival associations, with a view to be of serious price to researchers. The Encyclopedia is totally cross-referenced and plenty of entries hold a bibliography. the place possible internet references were given and there's a complete index.
The mixture of its vast scope, made up our minds foreign insurance and appendices make the Routledge overseas Encyclopedia of Queer Culture a uniquely bold paintings and an incredibly wealthy resource of data. It is a concern addition for all libraries serving students and scholars with an curiosity in GLBTQ tradition, background and politics around the disciplines.
By Claudia Mitchell,Jacqueline Reid-Walsh
Never earlier than has quite a bit pop culture been produced approximately what it skill to be a woman in modern society. From the 1st visual appeal of Nancy Drew in 1930, to Seventeen journal in 1944 to the emergence of Bratz dolls in 2001, lady tradition has been more and more associated with pop culture and an escalating of commodities directed in the direction of ladies of every age. Editors Claudia A. Mitchell and Jacqueline Reid-Walsh examine the more and more advanced relationships, struggles, obsessions, and idols of yankee tween and teenage women who're starting to be up swifter this day than ever before.
From pre-school to school and past, Girl Culture tackles a variety of hot-button matters, together with the new barrage of advertisements aimed toward very younger ladies emphasizing sexuality and severe thinness. not anything is off-limits: physique picture, peer strain, cliques, gangs, and cosmetic surgery are one of the over 250 in-depth entries highlighted. finished in its insurance of the twenty and twenty-first century trendsetters, model, literature, movie, in-group rituals and hot-button concerns that shape―and are formed by―girl tradition, this two-volume source deals a wealth of data to assist scholars, educators, and readers greater comprehend the continued interaction among ladies and mainstream culture.
By James G. Thomas Jr.,Charles Reagan Wilson
topics comprise ordinary heritage, slave well-being, drugs within the Civil struggle, public overall healthiness, eugenics, HIV/AIDS, environmental future health, and the increase of study associations and hospitals, to call yet a couple of. With 38 thematic essays, forty four topical entries, and a accomplished evaluation essay, this quantity bargains an authoritative connection with technology and medication within the American South.
By Timothy May
Covering the increase and fall of the Mongol Empire, this crucial reference offers the figures, locations, and occasions that led this once-beleaguered sector to stand up to turn into the most important contiguous empire in history.
• Introduces key figures, together with ladies and lesser recognized participants of the army and government
• encompasses a huge collection of annotated fundamental records to foster pupil research
• presents an outline of the sovereignty and its institutional structures
• Summarizes the various battles fought via the Mongol Empire
By Martin von Koppenfels,Cornelia Zumbusch
Ohne Emotionen lässt sich Literatur weder schreiben noch lesen. Anders als die aktuelle Rede vom ‚emotional flip‘ suggeriert, steht das Nachdenken über Dichtung schon seit der Antike im Zeichen einer Reflexion über Pathos, Gefühl and so forth. Dieses Handbuch liefert eine zusammenfassende Darstellung, die diese lange Reflexionstradition in Bezug zu theoretischen Ansätzen des 20. und 21. Jahrhunderts setzt und an konkreten Fallstudien anschaulich macht.
By Nancy Hendricks
Meet the 1st girls of the United States—sometimes inspiring, occasionally tragic, continuously fascinating—women who, although frequently unsung, helped carry the country jointly in its infancy and increase it as a global power.
• Overviews the social, political, and cultural importance of America's First women in a handy, chronological, reference layout
• contains letters, notes, and speeches that permit the 1st girls to talk for themselves
• good points attractive and informative sidebars that position the 1st women within the cultural context in their times
• stocks the 2014 First women score from the Siena learn Institute
• enables pupil examine via an intensive analyzing advisor and a listing of on-line assets that would foster severe analyzing, pondering, and writing skills
By Wolfgang Behringer,Constanze Ott-Koptschalijski
Die Kulturgeschichte des Fliegens von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart beschränkt sich nicht etwa auf die Darstellung der Geschichte der technischen Verwirklichung, sondern sie zeigt auch, daß die Geschichte des Fliegens zugleich eine Geschichte des Traumes vom Fliegen ist.
(Dieser textual content bezieht sich auf eine frühere Ausgabe.)
By Sean D. Moore
Renowned as some of the most marvelous satirists ever, Jonathan quick has lengthy interested Hibernophiles past the seashores of the Emerald Isle. Sean Moore's exam of Swift's writings and the economics in the back of the distribution of his paintings elucidates the humorist's the most important position in constructing a renewed experience of nationalism one of the Irish throughout the eighteenth century.
Taking Swift's Irish satires, similar to A Modest thought and the Drapier's Letters, as examples of anticolonial discourse, Moore unpacks the author's rigorously thought of released phrases and his planned force to free up the Dublin publishing from England's shadow to argue that the author used to be doing not anything under making a nationwide print media. He issues to the activities of Anglo-Irish colonial matters on the outset of Britain's monetary revolution; encouraged through Swift's dream of a sovereign eire, those women and men harnessed the printing press to disseminate principles of cultural autonomy and shield the country's fiscal rights. Doing so, Moore contends, imbued the island with a feeling of Irishness that resulted in a sense of independence from England and eventually gave the Irish a stunning measure of economic autonomy.
Applying postcolonial, new monetary, and booklet historical past techniques to eighteenth-century reviews, speedy, the ebook, and the Irish monetary Revolution successfully hyperlinks the era's evaluations of empire to the monetary and felony reasons for decolonization. students of colonialism, postcolonialism, Irish reports, Atlantic reports, speedy, and the background of the e-book will locate Moore's eye-opening arguments unique and compelling.
By Brian Thomas,Denis J Murphy,Brian G Murray
- Extensive searching and looking throughout topic, thematic, alphabetical, writer and brought up writer indexes - as appropriate to the work
- Basic and complicated seek performance inside of volumes, elements of volumes, or around the entire work
- Ability to construct, store and re-run searches in addition to mix stored searches
- Internal cross-referencing among articles within the paintings, plus dynamic linking to magazine articles and summary databases, making navigation versatile and easy
- All articles can be found as full-text HTML documents, and as PDF records that may be seen, downloaded or revealed out of their unique print format
- A committed Reference Works navigation tab and homepage on ScienceDirect to allow effortless linking out of your OPAC or library website
for additional info concerning the Elsevier Reference Works on ScienceDirect software, please stopover at: http://www.info.sciencedirect.com/reference_works.
- Comprehensively covers either the foremost theoretical and useful points of plant sciences
- Edited and written via a uncommon overseas staff of editors and contributors
- Well-organized layout offers for concise, readable entries, effortless searches, and thorough cross-references
- Presents entire updated info on over 25 separate components of plant science
- Features many tables and figures, with a colour plate part in each one volume
- New phrases in actual fact defined in thesaurus sections of every article